The Climate Adaptation and Resiliency Program (Program) was created by AB109, which, on September 16, 2017, amended the Budget Act of 2017 to provide $20 million to the Wildlife Conservation Board for local assistance, payable from the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund (GGRF). The Program is part of California Climate Investments, a statewide program that puts Cap-and-Trade dollars to work reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, strengthening the economy, and improving public health and the environment – particularly in priority populations, which include disadvantaged communities, low-income communities, and low-income households.
Program funds are to be used for climate adaptation and resiliency projects that will result in enduring benefits to wildlife and help meet the following objectives:
- At least 60 percent of the funds appropriated in this item shall be made available for grants for the acquisition of perpetual conservation easements and long-term conservation agreements that conserve natural and working lands for at least 50- years for the benefit of climate adaptation and resilience for wildlife.
- The remainder of the funds may also be used to develop and implement natural and working lands adaptation and resiliency planning that prioritizes the conservation and management of natural and working lands, provides technical assistance for natural and working land managers, and supports efforts that improve rural-urban coordination on climate change adaptation.
Program funding is directed toward projects that:
- Protect and restore ecosystems on natural and working lands to provide climate change adaptation and resilience for wildlife.
- Assist natural and working lands managers in implementing practices that provide climate adaptation and resilience.
- Facilitate the reduction of GHG emissions.
- Increase carbon sequestration in natural and working lands, and provide additional social, economic, and environmental benefits, or "co-benefits".
The intent of this grant program is to fund projects that provide for climate adaptation and resilience consistent with the State’s climate adaptation strategy (Safeguarding California Plan), contribute to the goals of AB 32, support WCB’s Strategic Plan, and help fulfil WCB’s Mission. In addition, projects will be consistent with other statewide plans and priorities, including the California Water Action Plan (CWAP) and California State Wildlife Action Plan 2015 Update (SWAP).
The Solicitation for 2018 includes five separate documents: the Program Guidelines (PDF), Solicitation (PDF), Pre-application Template (Word), Full Application (Word), and Budget Worksheets (Excel). It is strongly recommended that potential applicants be familiar with all of the documents before deciding to apply for grant funding. The first step in applying for funding is to submit a Pre-application, which is required to be considered for funding. The deadline for submitting a Pre-application was May 18, 2018. Full applications are to be submitted by August 22, 2018, before 5:00 PM to climateWCB@wildlife.ca.gov with 2018 Climate Adaptation Grant Proposal in the subject line.
For questions regarding the WCB Climate Adaptation and Resiliency Program, please contact WCB’s Climate Adaptation and Resiliency Program at climateWCB@wildlife.ca.gov.